Re: Ksyms for kgdb

Stephen R. van den Berg (srb@cuci.nl)
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 17:49:07 +0100

Linus Torvalds <Linus.Torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>> I think having kgdb is a handy tool for kernelhackers. So I was surprised
>> however that even in 1.3.30 the symbols from the kdebug-1.1/mm.patch are
>> still missing?

> - even if I had, I'd probably have discarded it unless there are better
> reasons than a "kdebug" interface.

>The first one is obvious, the second one is just my personal fight
>against the evils of debuggers. I'm a sick and twisted person, and I
>trust people who write code without debuggers a lot more than I trust
>those who don't..

Who says we're using it to actually debug the kernel? (What's in a name? :-)
The only reason I use it is to conveniently make binary patches to
a running kernel (and I can do this from a different machine, across
the net, because I can hang the kdebug interface on a socket).

--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).