Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #180

Alan Cox (alan@cymru.net)
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 10:06:59 +0100 (BST)

> From: root@sasami.anime.net (root)
> Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:13:48 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Linux Sudden Death Syndrome?
>
> Has anyone had experience with the "Linux Sudden Death Syndrome?"
>
> Symptoms include:
>
> 1) Hanging without warning, apparently randomly. can be anywhere from a few
> hours to up to 10 days.
> 2) No panic information.. nada.. system just stops. no pings, etc.
> 3) No VC switching works, but can scroll up/down within the current VC with
> shift-PgUp/shift-PgDn, so apparently SOMETHING is still working.
>
> Does anyone know causes and perhaps cures for this mysterious syndrome?

Yes and I'm getting utterly fed up of repeating how to get diagonostic
traces of this to people so they can find out why their specific system
crashed.

Boot without syslogk( or klogd as its sometimes called). Kernel messages
will go to screen - tough live with it for this one

Wait till the box dies - read any panic messages of screen (they may not
get logged to disk if for example it was a disk panic). If nothing is
going on hit right-alt scroll lock, right-shift scroll lock and
right-ctrl scroll lock. Write down the info. The CPU dump (the one,
starting EIP:) do about 20 times and write down the EIP value for each.

Reboot

Look the EIP values for each up in System.map package and mail. That way
a developer can see where there kernel is going at the time.

Alan