Re: vc scrollback

Snow Cat (snowcat@gd.cs.csufresno.edu)
Mon, 9 Oct 1995 22:12:22 -0700 (PDT)

Axel Boldt once wrote:

> [People want to have separate scroll back buffers per vc and have them
> cleared upon logout.]
>
> I believe the whole vc system is fundamentally flawed. It is not the
> kernel's business to do console scrolling or console switching. That's
> to be done by a user process, namely by screen, available from all GNU
> sites. It multiplexes a character terminal, giving you all the
> features you have now with the current vc (plus scrollback) minus the
> shortcomings.
>
> It even has cut and paste without mouse support (if you run another
> screen session in an xterm [which I do, couldn't live without it], you
> can even cut and paste between console and xterm). It could probably
> be made a little bit more mouse aware; right now I use it together
> with selection and that works fine.

Maybe, but we need a version of screen that:

^oo^ Allows switching between multiple graphics programs, like dosemu and X.
^oo^ Works after the system crash, so that you can hunt down panic messages
^oo^ Doesn't lag on a heavily loaded machine

Such a version might be best implemented in kernel :)

--
     Snow ^oo^ Cat <snowcat@gd.cs.CSUFresno.EDU>
      _  ->  <-    aka Oleg Kibirev <oleg@gd.cs.CSUFresno.EDU>