Re: ps2 aux mouse / TI Travelmate mouse problem

Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:40:08 -0400

From: Goncal Badenes <badenes@imec.be>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:42:51 +0100 (MET)

We have had exactly the same problem here (and reported it several
times). The mouse is working up to version 1.1.87, but some serial
driver changes in 1.1.88 broke the C&T chip autodetection. The quick and
dirty fix back then was to bypass autodection (i.e. bypass calling
probe_qp) and force installation.

What were the changes that broke C&T chip autodetection? It looks like
the C&T stuff does something really gross with spare registers in the
COM ports, but I'm not an expert on the C&T chip.

If someone can tell me what needs to be avoided to make C&T
autodetection work, I can either fold that into the serial driver to
make things work. In the worse case, if a really ugly hack is required
that will make the serial driver less functional for other folks, the
changes can go in #ifdef'ed under CONFIG_82C710 mouse....

- Ted