Re: BusLogic 445C & Rebooting 1.3 kernels

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 08:29:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 15 Oct 1995, Aidan Dixon wrote:

> Well, as far as the subject line is concerned, I have problems. Rebooting
> Linux appears to cause the something to happen to my SCSI controller such
> that the card's ROM BIOS doesn't get called after AMI BIOS has finished doing
> it's stuff. Consequently, since all my hard disks are on that controller I
> can't boot anything at all unless I then perform a hard reset.
>
> This doesn't occur with 1.2.11. I will try a few other kernels shortly to
> determine roughly when this behaviour appeared. One thing that has
> occured to me is this: I recently reinstalled my WD8013 card, and I'm
> pretty sure this problem didn't occur before then. Something else to try
> out then... Any ideas...

I had this problem when I went to a PC CHIPS motherboard. There's some
incompatibility between the motherboard and the Buslogic BIOS (this actually
even happens with their PCI cards, and possibly even some Adaptec SCSI cards
as well). As a result of the incompatibility, you have to disable the
Buslogic BIOS and as a result the adapter isn't reset properly when you do a
soft reset.

I don't know if this is related at all to your problem, but thought I'd
mention it....

:) lilo

P.S. Hi Linus. Quotas and accounting? :)