Re: 16 MB -> 32 MB, and highest memory address probing

Ingo Molnar (mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.co.at)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 17:58:17 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> The point that Ulrich was making was, I think, that Linux should do a
> read-modify-read cycle on the highest address *that was specified as
> legal* either by the BIOS or by command-line arguments. That will make
> problems show up earlier.

i would suggest to do this after mem_init(), since thats the last chance
to completely lock a memory area. (for any weird reason like a device mapped
into valid main memory or a broken motherboard).

-- mingo