Re: Ext2 Problem

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:52:37 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> aeb:
> No, it is unfortunate that it is needed, but the only clean solution
> is just to tell the kernel what the type of the rootfs is.
> And it is no big deal - just one line in lilo.conf.

I like the patch (hasn't been applied, because I've been so totally
swamped by email lately that I've lost about 50% of the mails in the
noise). However, I'd be even happier if somebody made the minix-fs
detaction a bit more robust. Essentially, it should also load the root
inode, check that it's a directory, and possibly even check that the
first entries are "." and "..".

(The "." and ".." checks are not there so much for sanity-testing as for
automatic checking of the name length of the filesystem: it currently
uses a ratehr ugly setup with different magic numbers for 14/30 char
names, but it really _should_ check where "." and ".." are).

Any chance of somebody looking into this?

Linus