Re: Amazing what a little RTFM can do :>

Antoine Reid (fluke@mlink.net)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:48:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:

> Uhh? You mean the drives settings (master/slave) is ALSO dependant on
> its RIBBON location??? I thought floppy drives were the only ones that
> actually did that (and for them because of the little twist in the
> cable that you can see). But you say that IDE is the same way?? Huh! I
> connected, disconnected, and moved more IDE devices than I can think
> of and have NEVER been aware of the cable-location thingy.
>
> So have I just been LUCKY for the past 4 years and by chance gotten
> cable location correct? Hmm!
>
> > Bryn
> > --
>
> Shin!

No. for floppy devices, you need to put the a drive at the end of the
cable because twist in the cable. However, for ide devices, there is No
twist. therefore you can put the drives wherever you want. You can as
well plug the middle of the cable to the connecter and a drive at each
end if you want. You can alos reverse the cable if it is more practical
for youur drives. and there is not really (IMHO) a reason why you really
avoid having you cd as slave if no secondary master is not present. I
fit works right, then you should not have to change it at all. (IMHO
again..) If not, correct me (directly to me) if I am wrong.

thanx for reading
bye
Antoine Reid