Re: Bugs in 1.3.8[8,9] and 1.3.90

Kevin Buettner (kev@primenet.com)
Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:15:01 -0700 (MST)

Matthias Sattler wrote:

> Could people with scsi tapes please try the following:
>
> dd if=/dev/urandom of=testfile bs=1024 count=20000
> tar cvf /dev/st0 testfile
> mv testfile testfile.good
> tar xvf /dev/st0
> diff testfile.good testfile
>
> I always get different files and I want to know if its somewhere in my
> hardware or in the scsi-tape support.
> My setup is:
> - asus PCI/I-486SP3 motherboard with ncr53c810 on board
> - hp C1553A DAT tape (Rev: 9503)
> - conner cfp 1060s (with patched firmware)
> - both, the original linux driver and the bsd-driver port show this error
> - scsi tape as module
>
> I doubt that the tape is defect, because (as far as I know) DATs always check
> the data after it is written, so I assume that the data is already wrong
> when it reaches the tape. The scsi bus seems reliable to me because the
> harddisc works fine and the bsd ncrdriver uses parity (and I got no parity
> errors so far). The conclusion is that there is a bug somewhere in the
> linux scsi-tape code, but I'm not sure.

Tried it on 1.3.93; worked fine.

My setup: Intel P100/32MB ram, plato motherboard, ncr53c810 scsi
controller, and the following scsi devices:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: SEAGATE Model: ST31200N Rev: 8648
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
Vendor: MICROP Model: 3243-19MZ Q4D Rev: HT02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
Vendor: ARCHIVE Model: Python 28388-XXFrom owner-linux-kernel-outgoing@vger.rutgers.edu Tue Apr 23 08:54:36 1996