Re: /proc/misc has bad mode

Andreas Jaeger (aj@arthur.pfalz.de)
23 Apr 1996 15:34:17 +0200

Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> writes:

> ?r--r--r-- 1 root system 0 Apr 19 22:33 /proc/misc

> NB, I just ripped out all the write-to-mtab handling out of mount and
> umount, and replaced /etc/mtab with a symlink to /proc/mounts.
> Nice. Now I only have to tell ssh to forget about /etc/ssh_random_seed
> (there's /dev/random, right?), and I can keep my whole root disk readonly,
> which is a Good Thing as it significantly speeds up booting after one of
> those nasty crashes (Shit Happens, occasionally, when you're developing
> drivers). Of course, /var is on a different partition, /tmp is a symlink to
> /var/tmp, /home is on NFS, and /usr has been readonly for ages. ;-)

But what are you doing with /dev? I need to mount /dev read-write to
change e.g. on login the permissions on /dev/tty*. And I fear I cannot
put /dev on a different partition, can I (I think I need /dev to mount
other partitions and if I don't have /dev ... :-( )?
The only possibility that I can see for a read-only root file-system
is making my /dev/tty* links to another partition.

Andreas

--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.pfalz.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  Altenwoogstr. 31      67655 Kaiserslautern, Germany