Re: Linux logo

Dale Scheetz (dwarf@polaris.net)
Tue, 7 May 1996 14:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Matt Hartley wrote:

> Here is Lars' idea, and I like it:
>
> >From: Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi>
> >To: Steve Ulrich <sulrich@designstein.com>
> >cc: Matt Hartley <hartlw@rpi.edu>, Alan Cox <alan@cymru.net>
> >Subject: Re: Linux logo
> >Date: Sun, 05 May 1996 12:47:19 +0300
> >Sender: liw@clinet.fi
> >
> >Steve Ulrich:
> >> While I understand the rivalry between the Linux development efforts and
> >> the BSD efforts. I don't really think that much is to be gained by a
> >> logo that degrades another.
> >
> >How about three logos:
> >
> > 1. What Alan suggested.
> > 2. The reverse: the BSD demon triumphing over the Linux penguin.
> > This one is sent to the BSD people, free of charge. :)
> > 3. L.T. Penguin and B.S. Daemon standing, drinking tea
> > (or whatever), with young Bill, the stupid, ugly brat with a
> > dripping nose, open mouth, and dirty clothes playing on the
> > floor with one of the box-with-shaped-holes and trying to
> > put the wrong shape of block in the hole.
> >
> >Alas, I can't draw.

I really like the image protrayed by the #3 item, but it's just too busy
for a logo.
A logo should be a declaration of a product, not a comparison. Logos give
a visual impression of what the product scope and goals are all about, not
who it's competitors (even the distant ones) are and where they stand.

Maybe something more along the lines of a penguin holding the globe of the
earth in it's flippers. In any case it should be simple and clean and
portray the product in as clear a light as possible.

Parity on Dudes,

Dwarf

aka Dale Scheetz Phone: 1 (904) 877-0257
Flexible Software Fax: NONE
Black Creek Critters e-mail: dwarf@polaris.net