Re: Console screwed up - was: Re: Kernels -in and out

Matty (matt@blitzen.canberra.edu.au)
Mon, 13 May 1996 14:48:49 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Hartmut Niemann wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Albert Cahalan -----
>
> From: Alan Cox <alan@cymru.net>
> ..snip...
> Any setup with suid root software that
> gets IO privileges is broken. Any setup that lets the user jam
> the console into some weird keyboard/video mode is broken.
> I hope some of this stuff can get fixed in post-2.0 Linux.
>
> ----- End of forwarded message from Albert Cahalan -----
> I second that. Have you ever tried to reset a virtual terminal
> to non |||| semigraphical mode after cat-ing a binary file?

Yes :)

> Even exit and hitting ctrl-d on the login, which helps on other
> systems, does not here. Any known ways to reset the terminal
> to readable characters?

Try typing the following:

echo CTRL-v ESC-c

this usually works (I think it's vt100 stuff - so YMMV with other
terminals...)

What I think Alan meant was a SVGAlib program that puts the console into a
weird mode - I've had several do this to me - you can't reset the console
with the above sequence, nor using "reset" nor anything else I could think
of. (Is there a way of fixing without rebooting??)

| -* Mostly Harmless ! *- | @~/ ,. \~@ / \/\ ,'Don't Panic|