Re: .96/.97 : random crashes (detailed Oops report)

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Fri, 3 May 1996 15:00:00 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 3 May 1996, Thomas Quinot wrote:

> I have been getting random crashes lately (some with Oops info, some
> plain reboot. Bad external cache might have interfered, too... :-( ).

Umm.. I take that last comment to mean that you _know_ you have a bad
external cache?

Quite frankly, Linux _will_ crash, spectactuarly and often (and sometimes
not so spectacularly) in the presense of bad caches. It's not as if I
could even do anything about it (unless you count "be so slow that there
is no risk of the system getting overtaxed" as a solution, and if you do
you'r eprobably running MS Windows already).

Linus