Re: .96 and up break strace (with patch)

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Tue, 7 May 1996 19:04:01 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

> Argh, sometimes I miss kmem-ps. The /proc-based programs tend to break
> with newer kernels, too, just like kmem-ps would. Someone might want to
> allow only certain users to view the whole process table (so that most
> users can only view their own processes) - with /proc, you have to set
> the policy in the kernel (== even more bloat), and it would be so much
> easier to do in user space...

I have a patch, ~2-3k gzipped, that enables users to "hide" processes in
the way you mention. I've been running it successfully for a long time.
It adds very little overhead and bloat. Anyone interested in having this
new functionality should drop me a mail.

Once I've browsed over the patch again I might post it here since it is
so small.

Chris.