Re: 1.3.98 breaks tcpdump, and 590 voes

Paolo Pierini (pierini@mi.infn.it)
Wed, 08 May 1996 09:07:05 +0200

(Mikael Abrahamsson) wrote:

> I scanned the past 600 messages to the list, and nowhere could I find that
> tcpdump was reported broken by one of the later kernels.
> (using 1.3.98 and 3c509combo)

... I omit the tcpdump part since I have no idea on that ...

> I didnt get the 3c59x to work either in .1.3.98, I had to go back to my
> trustworthy 509combo. I tried to get the 590 to work both as a module and
> compiled into the kernel. It would detect, it would even after some
> fiddeling get the right media type (autodetect doesnt seem to work, and
> the "insmod 3c59x option=1" wont work either). I set the media type in
> hardware with the etherdisk from 3com, everything seems to work at
> detect-time, but I still get the "SCIOCTL: network not available" (or
> whatever the first thingie is supposed to be.. :) )
>
> May 5 17:56:04 uplift kernel: 3c59x.c:v0.13 2/13/96
> becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
> May 5 17:56:04 uplift kernel: Overriding PCI latency timer (CFLT)
> setting of 64, new value is 255.
> May 5 17:56:04 uplift kernel: loading device 'eth0'...
> May 5 17:56:04 uplift kernel: eth0: 3Com 3c590 Vortex 10Mbps at 0xff80,
> 00:a0:24:77:27:24, IRQ 11
> May 5 17:56:04 uplift kernel: 8K byte-wide RAM 1:1 Rx:Tx split, 10Mbs
> AUI interface.
>
> I tried to get the updated version at beckers vortex-page, but I never got
> it to compile correctly...
>
> This is a P75, using GCC 2.7.0 (upgraded according to ELF-howto and
> nothing more).

I have a P60, 32 MB ram, GCC 2.7.0 (elf, out of the slackware CDROM),
compiled kernel 1.3.98 and I am nicely running the vortex driver 3c59x.

I could manage to run the driver only as a module, setting the options
in
/etc/conf.modules

alias eth0 3c59x
options 3c59x debug=1 options=3

(of course, I have a TBase 2 bnc connection)

The module autoloads correctly.
If I try to load it in the kernel it will fail to work and give the
SCIOCTL
errors. By the way, I have the same 0.13 version of the driver.
I also didn't set up anything with the 3Com utilities, just plugged the
card out of the Box in the PCI slot.

Paolo

--
Paolo Pierini: Istituto Nazionale di Fisica Nucleare
               Lab. LASA / Via Cervi, 201 / I-20090 Segrate (MI), Italy

Tel: x39-2-2392-560 pierini@mi.infn.it http://hptesla.mi.infn.it/staff/pp.html