Re: Odd root (and suid root) behavior

Steven N. Hirsch (hirsch@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu)
Tue, 14 May 1996 21:05:03 -0400

Chris Evans wrote:

> On Tue, 14 May 1996, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > As of (at least) 1.99.2, an initial root login (or su root) after
> > system startup hangs for almost a minute on a 486DX4-100 machine. Once
> > logged in, though, everything procedes normally!
>
> Most interesting. I used to have this problem, the actual thing that
> triggers it is the _first_ attempt to syslog a message after a reboot.
> The thing attempting to syslog a message just hangs for quite some time.
> This problem has disappeared recently, perhaps due to my libc upgrade to
> 5.2.18, perhaps due to my sysklogd upgrade to 1.3, or perhaps even due to
> kernel upgrades as both pipes/unix domain sockets/whatever syslog might
> use, have been tweaked.
>
> CAn anyone narrow this down?
>
> Chris.

Ok, that makes perfect sense! I watched from a non-root session using ps to see
what was happening. Sure enough, it hangs with 'login root' executing in the
offending session. If I watch the syslog file, the appropriate message does not
appear until after the session "unsticks". What made this bug rear its head all of
a sudden??

- Steve

|Steven N. Hirsch	"Anything worth doing is worth     |
|University of Vermont	 overdoing.." - Hunter S. Thompson |
|Computer Science / EE                                     |