Re: behavior of overwriting running executables?

Tom Bjorkholm (tomb@tomb.mydata.se)
Wed, 15 May 1996 20:12:50 +0200 (MET DST)

Marty Leisner wrote:

> This is has always been an issue with linux kernels.
>
> If I write to a running program, I get "text file busy".
>
> I think sunos seamlessly moves the executable to an unnamed inode, leaving a reference to
> it while its running, then transparently does an unlink when its done.
>
> Opinions/comments?

You can remove/unlink a running program. Then linux
seamlessly moves the executable to an unnamed inode, leaving a reference to
it while its running, then transparently does an unlink when its done.

... but you cannot write to the program file before you do the remove/unlink.

I think ld should do an unlink before it trys to write to the output file.

/Tom

Tom Bjorkholm           MYDATA automation AB
tel: +46 8 629 09 00    Karlsbodavagen 39
fax: +46 8 629 09 09    S-161 70 Bromma, Sweden