Re: CONFIG_RANDOM option for 1.99.2 [OFFTOPIC]

Alan Shutko (ats@shep1.wustl.edu)
Fri, 17 May 1996 21:19:24 -0500

IM> [ OFFTOPIC ]

IM> On Fri, 17 May 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

>> Gravity waves propagate faster (all points in space at once, if I
>> recall the physics correctly <shrug>).

IM> General Relativity Theory builds gravity from a mathematical model
IM> that has light-speed as the limit for information-flow.

Yup. Our simulations of gravity waves[1] use a number of techniques
to ensure this. Besides, they're so hard to detect that our sims (for
use in Project LIGO, a grav wave observatory) are for the case of two
black holes colliding. Now, try to build a machine around that![2]

[1] http://jean-luc.ncsa.uiuc.edu/
[2] Gives new meaning to the words "My machine crashed...."

--
Alan Shutko <ats@hubert.wustl.edu> - The Few, the Proud, the Remaining.
Oxymoron: Plastic snow.