Re: pre2.0.6 and pre2.0.7 won't boot on 386

James Ryan Mitchell (jmitchel@wheaton.edu)
Thu, 23 May 1996 12:33:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Martin Cornelius wrote:

> hello there,
>
> has anybody else tried to run pre2.0.6 or pre2.0.7 on a 386 without Math-CoPro
> ?
>
> On my good old 386 (AMD,40 Mhz, 8 Mb RAM) -- whrere 1.3.98 ran well --
> pre2.0.6 and pre2.0.7 hang at boot-time.
>
> Everything seems to be fine until the message:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>
> is displayed. then after about 30 seconds ( this takes about 2 seconds
> with 1.3.98 )
>
> INIT: version 2.57b booting
>
> is displayed, and that's it, i have to press RESET to reboot.
>
> Clearly, nothing is written to the logs, so i don't know how to give more
> information what causes the failure.
> I'm using libc-5.3.12 and libm-5.0.6, and, of course,
> the kernel was compiled with
>
> CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION=y
> CONFIG_M386=y
>

> --
> Martin Cornelius, ZARMFAB software development
> Center of applied Space and Microgravity research
> ZARM, University of Bremen, Germany
> phone: 49-421-218-4807
> FAX: 49-421-218-3887
> email: fabsoft@zarm.uni-bremen.de
> snail-mail:
> ZARMFAB c/o Martin Cornelius
> Universitaet Bremen
> Hochschulring / Am Fallturm
> 28359 BREMEN
> Germany

I am running a 386/40 with 8mb, no math coprocessor, and (I think) the same
libs. I have booted it fine several times in the last day or two. The
only diference I can see from your config is that I am using both the
first bzimage beta lilo and the latest version 19, with SysVInit 2.60.