Re: Ram problems

Michel LESPINASSE (walken@via.ecp.fr)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 14:28:50 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Andrew R. Koepke wrote:

> I have the new SuperMicro P55T2S motherboard with 40 MB EDO RAM and a 133MHz
> Pentium. Using kernel 1.2.13, all the RAM appears to be usable for Linux.
> However, when I switched to version 2.0.0 (I haven't installed any of the
> patches yet), Linux seems to only see the first 16 MB. This information shows
> up in the boot messages and in the file /proc/meminfo. Any ideas?

I have a SuperMicro P55CMS, and I have the same problem too. When I
upgraded to 32 MB, the linux boot sequence did not recognized the new
memory. I fixed the problem by setting an append="mem=32M" in my
/etc/lilo.conf. I works without problems now, but still this is not the
normal behaviour according to the docs.

(of course i set CONFIG_MAX_16M=n, and the memory IS detected under dos or
with interrupt 12h)

If some developper has an idea and wants me to test patches, I'm ready.
If not, probably I'll try to look at the problem..... "someday".

In-between, you can fix your problem by passing an option to the kernel.

Michel "Walken" LESPINASSE - Student at Ecole Centrale Paris (France)
www PC demo coder & official LiGNUx support
(o o) Email : walken@via.ecp.fr