Re: Javaconfig?

Jason Eggleston (jegglest@chaph.usc.edu)
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 17:25:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Eric Plante wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
>
> True, and I don't think it should be included in the distribution either,
> but it would be _really_ nice if someone could run this thing on a web
> page, which would then compile the kernel remotely and then place the
> binary somewhere where you can fetch it from ftp.. Of course you have to
> take the risk of running something you haven't compiled, but people do
> that everyday with crappy shareware (well, sometimes crappy) on other
> operating systems...

True, but who wants to put that kind of a security leak on a kernel? The
host would have to be extremely reliable and dang near a super computer if
it became popular.

Linux is probably expected to be more secure than those other operating
systems. I do like the idea of remote compilation, if it can be secure
and fast. I just wonder who would/could do it.

Jason Eggleston
http://www.eggleston.com/