Re: 2.03 or 2.04 messed up console

Keith Owens (kaos@audio.apana.org.au)
Sat, 13 Jul 1996 11:06:08 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Geoffrey Hoff wrote:
> pberger@linux01.gwdg.de wrote
> > Hi,
> >
> > ist it just me who recognized that the console prompt doesn't
> > work any more as when it should wrap to the next line?
> >
> > Example (dunno how to tell better..):
> >
> > box@somewher:/this/is/some/long/path$ ls -l <put some long existing
> > path here till end of line>
> >
> > Normally it wraps but 2.03 (which I skipped) and 2.04 then show
> > just some mess at the end of line.

I see no such problem with 2.0.4, bash 1.14.6, console type linux, gnu
/etc/termcap 8.3 (?), linux termcap.c 2.0.8 (unfixed). However when I
installed /etc/termcap 9.8.1 (from the ncurses project) I patched the
linux termcap entry to use the old entry, I have a vague memory the new
entry with ic/ich1 was causing wraparound problems.

> There seems to be another problem. Workbone used to have to have a nice
> triangle symbol for play and that is now just a square. Is that a console
> problem, a termcap problem, or a workbone problem. I don't know when this
> happened but it has been the same in all 2.0 kernels and I dont remember when
> I started seeing it in ghe 1.3 kernels.

Very early in the 1.3 kernels, it was a change to drivers/char/console.c
to support different character sets, based on ESC<number>m control
sequences. I long ago patched workbone to send ESC 11m when it starts,
this is required to get the ROM characters below decimal 32 to display.