Re: boot logging to /var/log/messages

Sun, 14 Jul 1996 22:39:45 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996, Douglas Ratcliff wrote:

> Hi! I apologise for the following simplistic question, but unfortunately
> I have no answer.
>
> When I first installed linux, what got sent to the console at
> boot time appeared to
> correspond with what got sent to /var/log/messages. Somewhere along the
> way since then, (I don't know what I did!), I suddenly discovered that
> /var/log/messages was only receiving a small subset of what appears on the
> console at boot time. I would be extremely grateful for any help that you
> can offer towards rectifying this problem.

You have to go look at /etc/syslog.conf, and syslog.conf(5) for the
format, the output can be sent to any file, so sending some otherwise
useless info to just /dev/tty8 helps diagnose problems very quickly with
out useing any diskspace at all (ie why's this serial port giving me no
such device, <look on VT8> ahh, kerneld (modprobe) can't find
char-major-5 ....).

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.