Re: 2.0.6 Networking strangeness

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 16:14:28 +0100

On 13 Jul 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> ping waterf -> hur 140-160msec=20
> ping waterf -> miriam 1.0-1.6msec
> ping hur -> miriam 0.6-1.1msec
>=20
> Linux 2.0.6 (waterf)
> PPP Link
> Linux 2.0.6 (hur)
> Ethernet
> Linux 2.0.6 (miriam)

Cannot happen.

A ping packet is 56 bytes long or so, usually. For 40 bytes to be
transmitted in 500 usec, you need almost 1 Mbit/sec. Somehow, I doubt t=
hat
your PPP link is _that_ fast.

Therefore, that ping waterf->miriam above did NOT go across the PPP lin=
k,
you have a local configuration problem, and whatever the bug in Linux P=
PP
is, this isn't it.

--=20
Goldwyn: What kind of dancing does Martha Graham do?
Associate: Modern dancing.
Goldwyn: I don't want her then, modern dancing is so old fashioned.
-- Samuel Goldwyn, immigrant turned famous movie producer:
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ noris network GmbH / Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc=
'ing
PGP: 1024/4F578875 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 D=
Click <A HREF=3D"http://info.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42