Re: Is any file system on Linux appropriate for very large directories?

Mon, 15 Jul 1996 22:28:40 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996, Eric Benson wrote:

> Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. The near-unanimous
> recommendation: use subdirectories! I had considered this idea, and in
> fact I will probably do it.

You could also get a hardware raid (directory lookup's go faster when you
share the load on the fs over several disks), it'll also give a more
robust disk subsystem (ie a disk dies, and you don't louse all the data).
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.