Re: strange lockup

Alessandro Suardi -- mailuser account (asuardi@uninetcom.it)
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 21:51:12 +0200

Mike Duckett wrote:

> I have been having the strangest problem booting Linux lately, since the late
> 1.3.80's. The kernel boots, init begins, mounts all drives, runs through rc.M,
> and locks up after the CD-ROM is mounted, which is before rc.inet1 starts.
>
> This lockup occurs every so often and is unpredictable in its occurance. I
> have kernel 2.0.6, libc 5.2.18, init 2.64, etc. (everything being the latest
> version).
>
> My hardware consists of the following: ASUS TP4XE 100 Mhz Pentium, 256k PB
> Cache, 48Meg, linux on a 1.2 EIDE drive by itself.
>
> I am at my wits end, any ideas.

Does it say anything before locking up ? My P100, SiS mboard, no buggy
CMD640,
850MB IDE hd, Hitachi ATAPI CD, 16MB RAM at the time (40MB now) began
hanging
hard randomly since 1.3.85 or so. I had a (successfully :) ELF-migrated
Linux
Slackware that suddenly hung on the hd, sometimes saying "Unknown
Interrupt",
sometimes nothing, a couple of times being more detailed with messages
like

"hda: read_intr: status 0x50", or
"DriveReady SeekComplete ide0: do_ide_reset: timed out, status 0xd0".

Things were so bad I could not complete a RedHat 3.0.3 CDROM
installation due
to the box hanging. Rebooting sometimes was impossible since it hung
again on
the hd during fsck on / or later when enabling swap.

Thing was, it even hung a couple of times when RedHat install asked if
my swap
partition was a Linux swap, I said yes, it said "preparing swap" or so,
and
hung there. I tried again, said no, installed 1.2.13 ELF. Got 2.0.0 and
a few
thingies, booted it, did a mkswap -c on my partition, never had a
problem
since then. It appeared to be something related to my swap partition...
it
was (and is) 35MB.

My old setup already had libc 5.2.18 - ldconfig 1.7.14, well all the
stuff for
the JDK plus the packages required in the Changes file for 1.3.8x and
1.3.9x.
The hanging occurred with 1.3.100 as well. My disk setup:

/dev/hda1 vfat /Win95
/dev/hda2 ext2 /
/dev/hda3 swap -

Still running 2.0.0 and happy...