Re: Is any file system on Linux appropriate for very large directories?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:12:55 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Adam McKee wrote:

> Also, is the Linux scheduler going to be the object of any fun and games
> in 2.1.x ?

Not in my plans, at least. The scheduler is pretty ok these days (and has
been sicne around 1.3.20 when it was rewritten to use a list of runnable
processes). I'm sure you can get it to do bad scheduling under some
circumstances, but that's true whatever the algorithm is.

If somebody wants to work on it, feel free. Be warned that it's a rather
timing-critical piece of code, though, and I won't be happy about a smart
algorithm that does badly for the (usual) trivial cases of just a few
processes due to processing overhead.

Linus