Re: 2.1 kernel bloat revisited

Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 17:23:51 +0200

root@localhost.rutgers.edu <root@localhost.rutgers.edu> writes:
>It would also be nice if ipv4 was also available as a module (since it is
>very large, but except for nfs root apps it could be loaded by kerneld).

I took a run at making ipv4 a module last fall and gave up on it.
There were just to many dependencies in the rest of the kernel on
internal bits and pieces of ipv4. Things might be a bit cleaner now,
but I expect there is at least still a tight connection between the
ethernet layer and the ipv4 code. Probably I should put this on the
list of things to do with the ipv4 code, but it's going to be near
the bottom of the list...

--
Eric Schenk                               www: http://www.dna.lth.se/~erics
Dept. of Comp. Sci., Lund University          email: Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se