Re: procfs problems

W. Reilly Cooley (wcooley@navi.net)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:53:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:
> /proc/[0-9]+ real processes ( of course )
> /proc/system/ system information
^^^^^^^^^^^
The problem with this is that you _still_ have non-process information in
/proc, which, as has nearly been ubiquitously agreed by everyone who
wants to re-organize /proc, is _wrong_.

The only way for this to be logically consistent is to have device driver
info, etc. on another directory branch, e.g.,

/proc => Process info
/kernel => Kernel info

This is how NetBSD does it, which is almost logical, except that the
process table is part of the kernel. Perhaps

/sysinfo/proc
/sysinfo/dev
/sysinfo/fs
/sysinfo/net
etc.

I think the best way to approach the re-organization problem is to
pretend you are a user of some other flavor of Un*x, familar with the
common names for drivers, etc., but do not know of the particulars of the
organization of the Linux sysinfo FS (the name procfs will also have to
be changed, for logical consistency). You ought to be able to 'cd
/sysinfo', 'ls', and find pretty quickly what you are looking for. Not
raise any silly questions such as "Do I use to the Modem applet, or the
System applet? Do I use the Multimedia applet or the System applet? Do
I use the Install/Remove Software applet or the setup program on the CD?"
as one has with Wind-32. Perhaps I'm too retentive about logical
consistency; I can only apologize and blame the fact that I've been read
Bertand Russell.

Just my lack of $.00.

Wil

W. Reilly Cooley
NakedApe Consulting & Navi.Net representative
1509 NE 10th Ave., #104 Portland, OR 97232
503 287-2165 wcooley@navi.net
www.navi.net/~wcooley www.navi.net/~nakedape

As a service, I provide analysis for viruses and poor grammar to senders
of unsolicited commercial e-mail at a rate of US$250 per hour. Delivery of
said correspondence constitutes a request for the aforementioned services
at said price.