Re: Could not get a free page...

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 09:35:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

> > Is anyone going to look into this or should I have a look at it?
>
> Hmmm...just for the heck of it, try increasing NR_REQUEST to something
> like 256 (default 64).

With echo 900 900 900 > /proc/sys/vm/freepages I could make the filesystem.
But the issue is that this shouldn't be happenning, no matter how are free
pages set up, especially when I run the O_SYNC mke2fs. With that, when the
system locks up, I have about 8 dirty buffers, but more than 30000 clean
buffers. Like that, I think every memory allocation request should succeed.
But that's not the case. I've put a debugging printk into try_to_free_page,
which was called only three times before the machine locked up, and always
succeeded.

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
Ultralinux - first 64bit OS to take full power from the UltraSparc
Linux version 2.0.30 on a sparc machine (291.64 BogoMips).