Re: eexpress16 status?

Philip Blundell (pjb27@cam.ac.uk)
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:11:19 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:

> What's the status of the eexpress16 and driver? The comments in the
> source make it sound like the card is brain damaged, and cannot be made to
> behave. I have one that's worked fine under Win31 for a few years, but

The card is slightly brain damaged, yes. Also, Intel refuse to release
documentation on the big ASIC that controls most of the board's functions,
and there are at least two revisions of it out there. 2.0 kernels have a
driver that works for some people. 2.1 kernels have a driver that works
for some more. The situation isn't utterly hopeless, but don't expect
miracles any time soon.

If you're having trouble...

- switch off 8-bit mode if you're using it. If you're not, try upgrading
to 2.1 and switching it _on_.
- be warned that the card has shadow registers at n+0x4000, n+0x8000 and
n+0xc000 where n is the base address. This can cause conflicts with PCI
devices if you're not careful.

> I have a box of SMC Ultra's...should I use them? Unfortunately, they're
> 10baseT and the current setup is coax.

They'd probably be more reliable.

p.