Re: Ext2fs and hashed table.

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.smurf.noris.de)
5 Jun 1997 18:23:10 +0200

Matti Aarnio <matti.aarnio@tele.fi> writes:
> David S. Miller <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu> commented:
> >
> > Except for the administrator of a machine with evil users who
> > purposesly make files with huge holes in them, the volume gets backed
> > up to tape using tar and fits, he tries to restore it later and lo and
> > behold the disk lacks the room for the files. Classic problem.
>
> Sure, so now you know why Berkeley people created DUMP/RESTORE
> programs for the BSD/FFS file system. Files won't grow, as
> blocks filled with zero bytes are copied as is, while the holes
> are not copied.

Uh, no. You can recreate files with holes without dump and restore, no
problem; just seek over zero-filled blocks instead of writing them.

The real reaosn dump/restore go to the raw disk is that there's otherwise
NO way to set both ctime and atime/mtime when restoring (or even leaving it
alone when dumping).

> To do extent handling, we need to update the ext2dump program too.
> (And e2fsck, and ...)

Of course.

--
Small is beautiful.