Re: Solaris 2.6 and Linux

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@ipd.info.uni-karlsruhe.de)
1 Oct 1997 10:05:07 -0500

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Well, apparently it seemed really silly to Cygnus's customers, anyway,
> and so Cygnus has a completely free (no GPL strings attached) version of
> libc for their embedded systems customers.

You should be a bit more careful with your words. The libcs are not
comparable. glibc is a full featured, standard compliant library
while the libc we have for embedded platforms only contains the basic
code. What is available hopefully is standard compliant but not all
what ISO C 89 demands is completely implemented (not to mention ISO C
9X). This is ok for embedded platforms but it is no alternative for
glibc.

-- Uli
---------------. drepper@cygnus.com ,-. Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper \ ,-------------------' \ 76149 Karlsruhe/Germany