Re: WinXX and Linux on a network

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 13:04:32 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On 1 Oct 1997, Andi Kleen wrote:
>
> > Teunis Peters <teunis@usa.net> writes:
> > > I can connect to them just fine; they cannot connect to my computer.
> > > This is definitely kernel-related as 2.1.24 works. (as I have an
> > > Ne2000plus 2.0.30pre7 doesn't work but I haven't had time/space to
> > > upgrade)
> >
> > Can you try if other computers can reach your machine? If not, please
> > supply a tcpdump log of a failed connect. You should also check with
> > netstat -a if your telnet server is really running. Without a tcpdump
> > it's nearly impossible to diagnose the problem.
> >
> > -A.
> >
> Also note that `ifconfig` and `route` now need to have the command line
> completed, i.e., there are no default netmasks, etc. Check for errors
> upon startup... You may see something like "route forgot to add
> netmask". You need these things now.

everything checks out.
System is accessible from another Linux machine.
Just not from WinXX network - where it used to be accessible (2.1.24)
the other machine's running 2.0.30pre7 with the same TCP/IP features
enabled.
I would try that kernel here but NE2000plus support is broken .. and this
isn't high-enough priority to download a newer "stable" kernel tree.

I'm just trying to figure it out... it's a pity Windows has no real system
analysis tools (eg. tcpdump)

They can ping me fine. UDP connections (talk, ytalk) seem to work.
TCP connections (telnet (?), ftp, http, postgres, etc) don't work.
Note that tcp connections FROM this machine to the WinXX machines work
fine. (WinXX = Win98/Memphis and WinNT 4.0)

Does that help anymore?

Have a nice day :)
- Teunis