Re: Linux (free s/w) support

Darren Reed (darrenr@cyber.com.au)
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 09:52:42 +1000 (EST)

In some mail I received from James Mastros, sie wrote

> On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Darren Reed wrote:
> >
> > Oh, I'm sure everything _does_ get used (by someone!). I don't doubt that
> > in the slightest.
> >
> > btw, I've yet to come across a kernel which required me to live with
> > "factory defaults".
> >
> > Darren
>
> Umm... Windows 95, Windows NT, Windows 3.1x, Soloris, SunOS, HP-UX, and any
> other kernel that dosn't come with source.

Mmmm, I was waiting for someone to say that :)

Just because a kernel doesn't come with source does not mean you cannot
configure it and/or make it slimmer.

I've tuned Solaris/SunOS/Ultrix & HP-UX kernels. I don't know too many
people who live with a "genvmunix" ... probably the same number who live
with the kernel that comes with RedHat, et al.

Argueably, it is _easier_ to tune Solaris than any of the others, using
/etc/system, which has some advantages and disadvantages over sysctl.
Then there's ndd which is sort of sysctl just for networking bits.

Can't really comment on Win95/WinNT, but through the various control panels,
you can select what it attempts to start at boot. It's much more limited
and I'm not sure how effective it is.

Darren