RE: 2.1.57 parport lp

Rajko Albrecht (Rajko.Albrecht@Informatik.TU-Chemnitz.DE)
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 20:51:14 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Garst R. Reese wrote:

> I had the same problem. Read parport.txt in linux/Doc*
> re-ran lprsetup.sh in gs5.03 to set lpt to lpt0,
Why?
> re-ran apsfilter setup to do the same.
Why?
> Before resetting the gs setup, I could print with lpr -Pascii foo, but
> nothing else worked.
> A note in parport.txt might be useful.
The only note: set in your /etc/printcap all ports accessing /dev/lp1
(LPT1 in 2.0.xx kernels) to /dev/lp0.
I did it that way -> works great. 'Cause I use sometimes 2.0.xx-kernel,
I've edit my rc.sysconfig that it changing that in depend of the kernel I
boot.
The simple way is to copy a - for example - /etc/linux-`uname -r`/printcap to /etc/printcap
at boottime. In 2.0.xx there is the entry :lp=/dev/lp1:\ for each printer
in 2.1.xx :lp=/dev/lp0:\.
And it works great. Without re-installing aps or gs.

Rajko "Alwin" Albrecht

* PGP - Public: finger ral@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de *
* http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~ral *