Re: AMD k6 cosmetic problems

Unix Support (UNIXSUPP@melbwater.com.au)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 08:29:00 +1000

I'd like to mention here - the 486 CPU did not always contain a FPU. It
was handled by the kernel in emulation mode. I'm referring to the 486
SX. The DX series has the FPU built in.

Architectually, the i[3456]86 family are very much alike. Yes, there are
optimisations in the 486, p5, etc.

----------
From: Marcin Dalecki
To: Olaf Titz
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: AMD k6 cosmetic problems
Date: Friday 10 October 1997 0:15

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Olaf Titz wrote:

> GNU autoconf scripts are _deliberately_ broken anyway. ;-(
>
> But you are right that it is wrong to make a mess out of architecture
> names. I have a perl directory which contains subdirs
> "i386-unknown-linux", "i486-unknown-linux" and "i586-unknown-linux",
> whatever various versions of the installation scripts saw fit.
> Needless to say, they all contain the same stuff and/or are links.
>
> olaf

But pleas e keep in mind that the autoconf is determining for example
what
will became the default optimization target of the compiler. So it's
really a difference if it's i386 or i486! So the broken part here is
really autoconf. And please don't tell me that the 386 and 486 are very
similiar. Think about FPU instructions for example :-)
Marcin
Langunages: Polish, German, English (in THAT order of precedence).
Homepage: http://sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de
http://sub994.sub.uni-goettingen.de/polish.html

PLEASE NOTE
This message is for the stated recipient only
and not to be passed on to a third party without
the approval of Melbourne Water.