Re: OFFTOPIC Most compatible binary w x86/iBCS

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:59:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hello John,

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, John Heil wrote:

> This is somewhat off topic so flaming me is ok...
>
> I suspect tho, that this is the best place for binary
> compatability q's ergo... :).
>
> We are considering some oo modeling software from Rational
> Software Inc. I of course, want avoid a windoze version
> if possible.
>
> The vendor's only supported Unix platforms are

Darn, If any of them had been SunOS4.1.x
Without a doubt Linux-Sparc can support it.
(IF you have a SunOS system in your area
certain Libararies & files are necessary for
this to work, see Sparc-linux FAQ)
IE: SunOS binaries will function (with the above cavaet)

>Solaris,
There was/is work on going on this one.
under the sparc arch.,

Solaris-x86
Is anyone willing to comment on the Sol-x86 binaries
compatibility ?

>HP-UX,
Doubtful, But I'd be glad to be proven wrong.
>AIX,
Doubtful, But I'd be glad to be proven wrong.

> Digital UNIX and
I also believe there was/is work on going on this one.

>SGI IRIX.
Very Doubtful, But I'd be glad to be proven wrong, again.

> Which of these binaries, assuming x86 an flavor exists, will
> run best with iBCS on 2.0.x or 2.1.x ? I am inclined to think
> the Solaris one.
> (Outside of Solaris, I don't know what others have x86 versions)
>
> Our hardware is x86 right now, but as we probably will need
> another machine soon, an Alpha might be a possiblity (if it
> could help in this regard).
>
> Thanks much
> John

> John Heil
> South Coast Software
> 1-714-774-6952
> kerndev@scsoftware.tea-house.com
> johnhscs@scsoftware.tea-house.com

, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Now in Progress !YAY! there's Progress To Report <-|
|-> Please See http://ucnet.canberra.edu.au/~mikal/vaxlinux/home.html <-|
|-> Maintainer: Michael Still mikal@blitzen.canberra.edu.au <-|