Re: serial input overrun(s) using ide-cd

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:55:18 -0400

From: Ronald Hesper <R.Hesper@phys.rug.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 97 19:41:57 MET

> --- certain broken IDE controllers will cause MASSIVE FILESYSTEM DAMAGE
> if the stream of data during a programmed i/o data transfer is
> interrupted by an interrupt.
> - Ted

Is it known which controllers are broken? If so, it might be a good idea to
include a list in the hdparm docs (if it's not too lengthy :-) ).

Two controller *chips* which are known to have the problem are listed in
the hdparm documentation. However, given the wonderful legal liability
system developed by Western Civilization, I doubt anyone is willing to
state that those are the _only_ two controller chips for which there is
a problem.

- Ted