Re: 2.0.31-pre10 problem

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 14:00:41 +0200

On Oct 08, Jon Lewis wrote:

> I wonder if a bad fan can do permenant damage to a CPU without totally
> frying it?

definitively! I've seen two P100 breaking after some months without
working fan (the 1st one made it ~9 months, the 2nd one ~5-6 months...)

this "breaking" only shows up *very* slowly and gives very weird errors
(e.g. write errors to SCSI tapes was the first real error we could trap;
1 byte out of ~1-10MB was wrong using AHA2940 with correct termination etc.).
all those weired problems immediately vcanished after replacing the CPU
(only replacing fan didn't help, cold CPU didn't work either)

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\