Re: Pentium MSRs

Stephan Meyer (Stephan.Meyer@pobox.com)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:40:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Robert Riviere wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A long time ago (early 96), there has been here several threads
> about accessing the Pentium Performace Counters, using RDMSR and WRMSR
> instructions.
> A patch was evoked, but I have not been able to find more about it.
>
> May anyone tell me if in recent versions of Linux this patch has been
> included, and/or if I need to download some code, and from where ?
>
> I've got in mind to make some studies on cache miss, and these instructions
> would be the ideal way to do this.

This patch was in fact done by me. There are patches for 2.0.30 and 2.1.32
(ha!). The 2.1 patch is very old because I basically got tired of
maintaining it with Linus showing no great interest at all, complaining
about the device-file-style interface. I still think this would be a great
thing to have in the kernel! [Linus: no flame intended]
If someone agrees to put it into the latest 2.1 kernel, I'll gladly submit
a patch.

Till then, please surf to this URL:
http://pobox.com/~stephan.meyer/msr.html

> Thanks in advance,

je souhaite que ca t'aidera.

> Robert Riviere (rriv@sophia.inria.fr) Tel: 0493-657-906

- Stephan

Stephan.Meyer@pobox.com
meyerst@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
http://pobox.com/~stephan.meyer/
2A 64 F0 73 02 91 10 FC 18 CC 83 1E E2 2C 7E 79

So what would an angel say
The devil wants to know