Re:Using both serial ports at the same time, Summary please ...

Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer (babydr@nwrain.net)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 20:31:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Nicholas,

The conditions with mine seem to be near the same except
that I put the internal modem in & -both- the on board
serial ports are totally un-usable. 33.6 modem at com3
one of the on board ports at com1 or 2 , The kernel would
see at most 2 but then any access to either the modem or
either of the onboard ports would elicit no responce from
any piece of software that used serial.
( ckermit, minicom, pppd.... )

The bios would see 1 or 2 of them, at least according
to the bios screen at bootup .

I've even tried 33.6 at com1 & one of the on board ports
at com2 or com3 or com4, still wouldn't activate the port
under linux(2.0.3x) . Take the Modem out & I can use both .

This sounds like something in the bios is buggered in my case .

I've even gone back to the defaults, starting over & -just-
modifing the serial ports one item at a time, still the same .

1 or 2 ports found and still will not let me access either of
the ports found IF it finds 2, If only one is found I can use
just that one .

Tia, JimL

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:
> At 12:16 PM 10/12/97 -0700, Mr. James W. Laferriere Network Engineer wrote:
> >
> > Hello Nicholas, Please be kind & post a summary ? Tia, JimL
>
> Ok, it was pretty straight forward:
>
> The problem
> -----------
> I could only open and use 1 serial port of my 2 built in ones at the same
> time. They were set for the normal IRQ' and ports for COM1 & COM2.
>
> If I had one open (say a PPP connection) and attempted to use the other
> (say, as a serial terminal [agetty ttyS1 9600]), both would SLOW DOWN to
> amazing levels (like 10 characters per minute).
>
> As soon as I closed either port, the other would come back up with no
> problems and no errors.
>
> All the time, the kernel never reported any problems. I did not test this
> under any other OS than Linux as I don't have any other installed on that box.
>
> I tried in my AMI bios to move the serial ports to various other settings
> (ie, COM1-COM4) to no effect.
>
> The solution
> -------------
> I put in an internal modem into my 'puter, set it as COM3 and dialed out to
> my PPP account.
>
> I then attempted to use on of the two inboard ports. No problems!! If I
> tried using all three, the two built-in ones would exhibit the same problem
> as before, but the third would happily buzz along.
>
> The Results
> My mobo's serial ports are fried :( I traded my external 36.6 modem for an
> internal variety and everything works as expected.

> simple is elegant nicholas@binary9.net

| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |
|-> Linux-Vax Port, Now in Progress !YAY! there's Progress To Report <-|
|-> Please See http://ucnet.canberra.edu.au/~mikal/vaxlinux/home.html <-|
|-> Maintainer: Michael Still mikal@blitzen.canberra.edu.au <-|