Re: monitoring entropy

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:55:44 -0400 (EDT)

Fine, here is a problem for you.

F = a fixed constant (unknown to you; the is the pool)
T = current time
R[n] = Random output

Given: When R[n] is created F = md5(F+T) and R[n]=sha(F)
(this would be the simplest analogy of the linux random system)
You have a large number of R (say R[n..n+10^10) all taken in
sequence.
Prove: It is likely that you will discover R[n+(10^10)+1] during your
lifetime with the mostpowerful computers you can afford. (Assume
you upgrade yearly using 25% of your income).

Do you now understand why this argument is silly? Even if you boil this
down to it's eaisest to crack level you are still looking at a very
difficult problem (perdicting MD5/SHA).. Let it die.