Re: Upgrading

Network Admin (netadmin@knotwork.com)
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:23:43 -0300 (ADT)

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Richard W. Bowser wrote:
> You could, perhaps, wait for someone to release a new distribution based
> on the 2.1 series kernels, but that would probably mean waiting until the
> 2.2 (stable) series of kernels comes out. If you want to use the 2.1
> (development) series of kernels in production there is a bit of work to do
> first with installing all the needed updates.

I recently updated the Knotwork Distribution to the 2.1.55 kernel. It
seems to work fine. It is basically a Slackware with all the changes and
updates I found myself doing over and over again put right into the
distribution to save having to do them all again each time I install a
system. The distribution was developed mainly for ISP use.

A CHANGES file is provided that should tell hopefully every step that was
done in mutating the original Slackware distribution that I started with.

The distribution's home page is
http://www.knotwork.com/info/comp/freeware/linux/

The main reason I am still using Slackware style packages is that I do not
need special tools to use them on systems based on other distributions,
just gunzip and tar and bash are all that are required. I find that more
generic than having to use special package tools.

Blessed Be. -MarkM-

--
We do remote Linux install, config, support and administration. Inquire.
"The saddest thing is they WANT to be ignorant, INSIST on it in fact."