Re: Can't build linux-nfs-0.4.2x under 2.1.76

Alessandro Suardi (asuardi@uninetcom.it)
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 20:02:12 +0100

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Dec 1997, Alessandro Suardi wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I tried building the linux-nfs tools so to be able to use knfsd,
> > but both .21 and .22 fail as rpcdebug.c includes <linux/sched.h>
> > and <linux/nfs_fs.h> which in turn include <asm/processor.h>.
> > This last file uses u8 and possibly other definitions which look
> > pretty much buried under __KERNEL__ in <asm/types.h>; could some
> > kind soul please point me to the Right Thing to do ?
>
> I've been doing battle with this for the past day while fixing knfsd for
> use on an Alpha. If you ever find the "right" thing to do, please let all
> of us know. Under glibc, a lot of this stuff is in sys/types.h. If you
> are using libc-5, you may have to selectively un-__KERNEL__ some of the
> conditionals in the kernel headers. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't
> tried to rebuild the knfs utilities since about 2.1.67 or so :-(.

Steve,

I've been following for a while the exchange between you and Bill
Hawes so if *you* say this I know I'll be in for some fun :)
I spent about half an hour going bovine in the attempt to build
the tools and I managed. Next step, I'll even try to use knfsd,
with my laptop being the client and this PC the server. But, this
will be tomorrow -- 3 NFL wildcard games are waiting for me now !

Ciao,

--alessandro <asuardi@uninetcom.it> <asuardi@it.oracle.com>

Linux 2.0.33/2.1.76 libc-5.4.38 gcc-2.7.2.3 binutils-2.8.1.0.15

"There's a bit of magic in everything
and then some loss to even things out" -- Lou Reed