Re: IBM 6x86MX233 blacklisted ?

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 10:30:03 -0800 (PST)

Well... The IBM cpu is a Cyrix M2 which is not a bad thing in and of
itself however, if your expecting it to outperform a Pentium-II, that's
not going to happen. I have an M2 pr-166 (normally runs at 133)
overclocked to 150mhz (75mhz bux x 2x clock double) and it still doesn't
compare to a Pentium-166mmx on the same board (M-Technology 534f
(sis-5582) with 512k cache), running at it's rated speed. The bovine rc5
client performance page provides a reasonable metric for cpu performance
on certain operations...

http://alde.com:7070/x86speed.sql

what it will tell you is that the m2 166 falls between the pentium-120 and
the pentium-133.

Also to build a kernel for one of these beasts, you need to apply one of
the numerous Cyrix patches.

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> recently I got an offer for an IBM6x86MX233 based computer. Looks
> pretty good (even a bit faster than iPII-233 due to the larger cache)...
> Are there any arguments against buying such a beast ?
> Is there a FAQ on Linux' CPU support ? Perhaps a comparison of
> performance and throughput ?
> Are there (besides the ones that appeared in this mailing list past
> weekend) any blacklisted single-processor main boards ?
>
> Every hint is welcome.
> Steffen
> --
> Steffen Grunewald = steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de = *49 331 288 1245
> `finger steffen@gfz-potsdam.de` for details (and PGP fingerprint soon)
> My opinions are mine. You can rent them. Just ask me for prices :-)
> "emacs ist ein tolles Betriebssystem, aber Unix hat den besseren Editor."

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
CONSERVATIVE, n. A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as
distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them with others.
--Ambrose Bierce