Re: 2.1.83: Sound, SB16, Modules, MIDI?

Jim Bray (jb@elentari.cs.wcu.edu)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 01:19:52 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Jim Bray writes:
> > Another party has removed the need to configure the driver aside from
> > kernel configuration, but has not updated the readme to reflect this.
>
> If you are referring to the removal of configure.c, I did that.
> And I certainly did update drivers/sound/Readme.cards to reflect this.

Correct. However,

readme.modules:

5) Execute make in the sound driver source directory. Enter
configuration parameters as described in Readme.cards. Then just wait
until the driver is compiled OK.

I was trying to make modules. Not knowing the history of the driver, I
did not know who had written which readme (there appear to be seven of
them). I just wanted to get it working, and became frustrated as I
realised that the necessary information just plain wasn't there. I finally
in desperation did what I should have done first: looked at the
init_module() code for args. That got me basic functionality of the SB16,
but no midi. I never would have gotten midi without Regis Duchesne's kind
assistance, because I know nothing about sound cards and have no docs on
what I have.

Of course one expects this sort of thing running the latest kernels,
tho' I don't run into it much. Hopefully it doesn't happen in official
release kernels, as that might give aid and comfort to Micro$oft.

I have already told Hannu I would add my bits of info to the readme if
desired. Given my limited experience with just one sound card that I know
little about, I would not consider myself qualified to undertake a broad
rewrite and integration of the readme files. I have answered and will
continue to answer the requests for help that my posting has generated.

--Jim <a href="http://as220.org/jb"> My Page: as220.org/jb </a>