Re: What is accepted into the standard kernel sources ?

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 19:28:52 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Henrik Storner wrote:

> The reason I am asking is that the company I work for - Olicom, a
> manufacturer of various types of network equipment - recently
> developed a Linux driver for our Token-Ring network adapters. This
> driver builds upon a small platform-independent library we have
> written, that makes it possible to write an operating-system specific
> driver for the cards without having access to hardware
> specifications. The driver - the part that interfaces between the
> Linux kernel and the library - is released under GPL. The library
> itself is not available in source form, but could be included with the
> kernel sources, e.g. in the form of a uuencoded object file. (That is
> how we do it right now). When I approached Alan Cox and asked if it
> would be possible to include the driver in the upcoming 2.0.34
> release, he rejected it as soon as he heard that a binary module was
> included, and needed for the driver to work.

Have you thought about loading your API library as a kernel module? Then
you wouldn't have licensing problems.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/