Re: challenge for linux-SMP hackers

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 23:59:47 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I don't know what the state of the mca stuff in 2.1.xx is however. If you
> > would like to ship it to the mca-linux headquarters, I'll split shipping
> > :-)
>
> It should be ok, however I've no idea what the level triggering on some
> IRQ's might do to the SMP code to be honest. Best of luck

the IRQ controller should see no difference compared to UP Linux, stock
2.1.84. The MCA IRQ controller is 8259A compatible, right, at least from
the I/O programming interface side?

but if the box is not MP 1.1/1.4 compatible then there will be problems.

best would be to first try an IO-APIC-less kernel, say 2.1.76. The IO-APIC
code currently assumes that the board has a 'IMCR' IO port ... dunno what
happens if there is some other way on the system to enable the IO-APIC.

-- mingo