Re: Supermicro Motherboards

Tue, 3 Feb 1998 19:28:25 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, German Jose Gomez Garcia wrote:

> After reading that article I almost get mad!, I was going to
> order a Supermicro P6DLS (Dual PII) today, and now I have serious doubts
> VERY SERIOUS DOUBTS..... :(
>
> First, when you say "they don't support Linux" what do you mean,
> that Linux won't work on such a board or that the company doesn't support
> Linux (sorry if it's clear, but I don't speak English as my first language)

What I mean is that while Linux may run on some of their boards (it
sure didn't run worth a damn on a P5STE... locked up every 15 minutes
even with 'perfect' other hardware that worked just fine in my
(current, replacement for supermicro) Gigabyte board. They wouldn't
even consider trying to figure out what the problem was since I wasn't
running Win95, WinNT, or Netware.

> Second, if it's a board problem, what board would you get?
> (Dual PII & SCSI)

I'd get an Asus P2L97-DS, and disable the onboard adaptec SCSI and add
either a Buslogic controller or an Asus SC875. (the Supermicro also
has Adaptec SCSI, which sorta works under Linux, but not nearly as
stable under heavy load as a Buslogic or NCR board)

> Please answer by E-mail to my own address (I have problems with
> the list) and please be quick, my decision depends entirily on your
> answer!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> <>-------------------------------------+-----------------------------------<>
> One O.S. to rule them all, | German Gomez Garcia
> One O.S. to find them. | mat006@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es
> One O.S. to bring them all |
> and in the darkness bind them. | "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"

Simon Karpen slk@shodor.org
Sysadmin, Shodor Education Foundation

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage